Thursday, January 19, 2012

Painting against type

A couple summers ago we happened upon an estate sale that hadn't been completely organized and we were told to look around and let them know if we had questions. Oh my, the stuff in the barn and outbuildings was overwhelming. We were opening boxes and climbing up on stuff. We were channeling American Pickers!

We filled my car - no small task, the thing is huge inside. (Doctor Who fans? My car is the Tardis.) We went home, got Honey's truck and went back to get more stuff. This dresser was my favorite find. It was in the back of a barn/shop, hidden behind and under boxes of who-knows-what. We walked by it several times without seeing it.

 I thought of it as being art deco and kept trying to come up with a Roaring 20's style design. I got nowhere. Nothing appealed. I apparently can't channel The Great Gatsby, not to mention Scott or (yikes) Zelda.


Then suddenly the dresser looked Asian to me, not art deco at all.
(Have you ever seen anything like those pulls? Awesome.)
I'd been wanting to do something masculine for a while and it all just came together.

It's not my usual style and that has opened my mind up to more possibilities. Oh boy!

Here is what I did. My Honey loves it - it's his favorite out of everything I've done so I've passed the Man Test.


So, there it is, my first 'male project!' I used Annie Sloan Graphite, General Finishes Milk Paint in Red Pepper and white craft paint. The trim and pulls are black gloss latex. The front is waxed but I put polyurethane on the top and sides for more protection.

It will go to my booth this weekend. Sheesh, it'll take up most of the space. I'm crossing my fingers that someone will walk by who really wants a red Chinese Dragon dresser. :-)

15 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, and double-WOW! I love how you thought of this dresser as a whole canvas. Your dragon is striking.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Not that I'm surprised since you are amazing as well. I am constantly impressed with your ability to visual something interesting on a piece of furniture that looks uninspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Daena! it's so cool (just like your other stuff) and so different! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cool! Love the dragon. I'll bet it doesn't last long in your booth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful piece! I agree that the original did have a somewhat Asian feel to it. The dragon is really ornate.

    Thanks for linking up to OPC's party! Sorry we don't have a button yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, saw you featured over at Better After. I live in Medford, OR and have been to the American Mercantile. I'll have to see your stuff in person next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That won't last long. Some little boy who is into dragons will have to have that. Love it! Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discovered your creative blog. How do I follow your posts? I am trying to get myself together to be creative and I like the cut of your jib...I want to come back and see what you are creating and what you have to say.
    Your dragon piece isn't just for guys, I would so buy it if I wasn't on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get.out.of.here. This is too cool! Love it! Never seen anything like it! PLEASE come link this up at my place on Wednesday! So fun!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com
    PS You might win a $5 Starbucks card1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! I don't think it will last long at your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. although it is not MY style, I can certainly appreciate your talent! great job. I bet it goes quickly!
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing job!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a triple wow, such an amazing job! It is beyond cool. The original pieces does have an Asian feel so you kept her spirit alive by doing the dragon. It really is so beautiful Bet you sold it already? Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for submitting this to our Link Party! We've featured you in this week's round-up. Unfortunately, we don't have a button yet, but one's coming!

    We'd love to have you submit yet another project in this week's party!

    Here's the link!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing this very cool dresser at Restyled Sundays. You are soo creative!

    ReplyDelete