What I found were merchants anticipating my arrival and the three horses I managed to find were so ridiculously expensive that I was stunned. And they weren't even the type of horse I wanted.
I wanted the horse shown below.
This was the best horse I found. For several thousand dollars he could have been mine. I would have been over-joyed to bring this horse home. But alas.......
Back home in Oregon I looked briefly on ebay, France's ebay, as well as Denmark's for a horse. But seriously? People were so (shock!) dishonest! My Made-in-Bali rocking horse was being touted as 'Victorian antique' and listed for $999.
My Made-in-Bali rocking horse........ hmmmmmm.......... what if.............. I bet I could.........?
The wheels started turning and before you knew it my horse was getting older!
I was winging it. First I sprayed it white. Then I sprayed it black. Then I painted over it with Paris Grey chalk paint. Next time I'll paint after.
After the paint had dried, armed with a belt sander and re-cip saw, I went to work. That crazy, carved mane was first. I sanded down as far as I could, then it was time for the saw. heh heh heh. Chunks flew everywhere.
There was almost two inches of material to remove. I just kept at it with my mini-recip saw.
Almost there. I had to use a small triangle sander around the face. And in tight spots I used my mini belt sander, which is more like a Sander on a Stick. Love that thing.
When I sanded the platform I found unexpected aqua paint.
Finally the wooden mane is gone. (I can't believe how much work that was!) I cut a trench down the back of the neck to hold the new mane.
For the new mane I used actual mane from my mini horses.
To get the how-it-was-made look I glued on some burlap and sanded it down.
And, finally, the finished. deconstructed horse.
I wasn't happy with the burlap. To me it made the horse look like a middle-ages war horse, so I tore most of it off.
The other side.
Before and after
Okay then. I now have my big stupid grin.