Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Using CeCe Caldwell paint for the first time

I was so excited to try the new-paint-on-the-block! 


I don't know what I expected but it was less expensive than Chalk Paint so I was crossing my fingers that it worked as well. I loved the Vintage White color, but the Smokey Mountain was too much like Annie Sloane's Duck Egg Blue. I was hoping for a blue-gray. So this is my experience with the new paint - but let me say this, since it was the first time I used it, I didn't know what the consistency should be or the best way to apply it. The website doesn't offer any tips, so I proceeded as if it were regular chalk paint. (The only difference I know of between the two paints is the CeCe Caldwell paint has clay in it, along with chalk.)

Here are the projects I did last week using the two colors:

Vintage White and the Seven Days of Painting

I love this sweet little Craigslist dresser! I want to keep it. But I can't - unless I sell my Union Jack dresser. sigh. It was missing one pull, wouldn't you just know. I found the exact pulls on ebay - 2 for $25, shipping included. I also found them on a restoration site - $17 for ONE, shipping included. No dang way. I dug around in my stash and found two pulls that compliment the originals and I was good to go.

I added a couple pieces of trim to the bottom of the sides to hide peeling veneer. I think it looks better with the added trim, it is the perfect finishing touch.


I normally don't do the "Shabby" look but this dresser was perfect for it. The white paint highlighted the details so nicely .... I really want to keep this dresser ....

 


Can you see the pink creeping through? It's the same problem I've had before with mahogany, so the new paint didn't out-do chalk paint as far as bleed through goes. I had to use a lot of paint - it took 3/4 of a can to paint this one dresser because the coverage was poor. Again, since it was my first time out of the gate, so to speak, I'm reserving judgment until I've painted a few more pieces. And there seemed nothing I could do to avoid brush strokes. I hesitated to thin with water because it would make the coverage even worse. In the end I decided the pink tinge added to the character of this dresser and I didn't have to use dark wax!


The Caldwell paint didn't sand as easily as chalk paint (can you tell I L-O-V-E chalk paint?) It also seemed to absorb a lot of wax but after buffing it had the most wonderful sheen.

15 comments:

  1. Love this transformation!! I have a china cupboard that I want to redo and this is quite similar to how I am envisioning it!!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look too, but your union jack rocks! For me there is no question which one to keep, the union jack. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dresser what pretty little piece she is. Love the color. I would keep this one, but only you know which one is "right" for you. I'm so glad you shared your experience about CeCe paint. I love Annie Sloan's but just too expensive. Such a pretty dresser. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning! I found your blog via the Cherished Treasures link party. :) ~ Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to see you are using Cece Caldwell! The dresser is gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing. BTW, did you know you can go to the Cece Caldwell FB page, like them, and link up your project to the page. Another great way to showcase your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the transformation of your dresser! Thank you for linking up last weekend at Sunday Blog Love. Your one of my top five picks and hope you'll come back again this weekend! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous absolutely fabulous!!! The transformation is absolutely perfect! Thank you SO much for linking up and for making me want to go and paint something!!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time visiting , great post & the dresser!!! Wow what a transformation!!!
    I invite you to visit my world as well...
    Blessings Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. painting anything and everything white are the best therapy!

    stop by any time. i have a bling giveaway going on right now! http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-giveaway.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful transformation! Great piece to start with and love the color you chose. I've seen this paint featured on FB - Will have to seek out and try! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend...

    xo Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  11. some really great stuff. I found some great stuff online that I had shipped through home direct amazon. All the saved time and effort of the process really has me wanting to transform them all as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning,painting anything and everything white are the best therapy!Hospitality furniture

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ηoωever, bаd сreԁit loanѕ for personal use are frequеntly availablе just to get theiг
    іn the low-incomе payment overdues, overdue paymеnts and many others
    at all Most creԁitors require that the new cardholԁers have a fairly dеcent creԁit ratіngs
    Also see my page - mcloszumbaos.es

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your piece looks fantastic and I like the very light pinky. We did our first coat last night on a buffet and I am loving it so far. My husband has major issues with formaldehyde so Cece's is so much better. I watched the videos over and over for both types and one of the videos showed adding water to thin the paint so I did do that but still felt it covered well for a first coat. We are buying Annie Sloan's brushes today - as we speak in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the same problem with reddish finishes on old furniture. However, there is a quick fix. Spray it with Zinsser shellac or if you want something without vocs paint it with Artisan top coat first. It will keep the red in the finish from bleeding through your paint. If you chose Zinsser shellac do it in a well ventilated area. It stinks. Wait about 1 hour and than paint, Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete