Thursday, September 18, 2014

Mr. Bad picks a dresser

I just don't like honey oak 80s furniture. Never have. Why do did I own a honey oak bedroom set? When we moved from Seattle to a new-build home near Portland we were faced with a big empty house. We went on a whirlwind furniture shopping spree and well, there you have it. Rushed decisions. All of what we purchased that week is gone now, except two dressers.

I've been wanting to move those dressers on to their next life for years but Mr. Bad Rabbit has wanted no part of that plan. How 'bout paint the dressers? Nope. He had two requests, leave his dresser alone and don't block the big windows in the living room.

So imagine my surprise when he said 'I might want that dresser' when I was almost finished painting the huge yellow and maroon thing I'd dragged home last summer. 


I've mentioned this dresser in a previous post. It was The Dresser Left Behind. The craigslist seller had told me it was the only thing left in a foreclosed house. No Kidding?

I was transforming it into a satin black, stately beauty. 'Stately' because I think this is the biggest dresser I've ever seen. Asked why the change of heart? Mr. Bad said this was the first masculine dresser I've painted. Well, I beg to differ and I could show pictures but whatever his reasons, I'm liking it!



I have had no luck painting black dressers. Seriously, the finish always looks just awful and when I'm done weeping, I sand and go at it again. And again. And again. Maybe this was the turning point?
I hope so.


I saw potential in the lines and detail. That, and it's a STOUT thing. Big, solid and heavy, it truly is a man's dresser. You will not be moving this thing alone. Even with the drawers removed it won't budge without herculean effort.



I did just a little distressing.


And a little restyling.


Instead of the usual valet tray I found this 1902 miter box.


Mr. Bad Rabbit has been in Alaska all week so he has only seen pictures so far. :-)



Sharing with him and these fun sites:
beyond the picket fence
miss mustard seed
shabby nest
chic on a shoestring decorating
domestically-speaking
the dedicated house
what we accomplished Wednesdays



Inspector 11 asleep on the job.




8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! We have one that is similar in size and weight but a bit more girly than this one-why do I always go for the things that weigh a ton????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why the heavy stuff appeals! I guess we like stout furniture.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I think you've turned the corner with the black paint. And of course I love the picture of Inspector 11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. And I love your floors! Did you paint those yourself??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I did paint them. However that's a floor I lay for photos. I WISH it was my real floor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it in black! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at The Round-Up from Before & After Wed. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/10/the-round-up-from-before-after-wednesday.html Have a great evening! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely a keeper. Maybe he will give up the orange oak for this beauty? What is it with men and orange oak? We have a huge oak desk/hutch thing I want to paint. When I told my husband he looked like I had punched him in the gut! Maybe black would do it for him too... Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete