Friday, March 7, 2014

It's NOT a do-over.

Seriously. I'm trying to stick to my guns about not doing compulsive repainting. Or buying things that are cheap but I will never take
time to paint.

I needed to take the coral cabinet another step. Plus I learned a
neat little trick.

I now have a darker cabinet with more of the trim painted Alaskan Tundra.

See?

And the bright 'before' in this photo doesn't really show the neon quality:

I painted the remaining trim and applied dark wax but for some reason the wax was going on really blotchy for me. I knew Oderless Mineral Spirits would remove wax but I just wanted to smooth it out .... So I mixed dark wax and Mineral Spirits to the consistency of dirty motor oil.


I started on the areas I hadn't put regular dark wax on yet. I used a paint brush, painted my mixture on and wiped away immediately. I went over trim as well. I repeated if necessary.

My surprise was using the green scour pads to take off extra wax the cloth left. Now, these are the CHEAP scour pads, not the name brand. I think the name brand would distress rather than collect wax.

Anyway! The cheap pad buffed the wax to perfection! And with little effort, too. My bicepts won't hate me the rest of the day. It was awesome! Such a beautiful sheen.


I used a cabinet scraper to really distress the corners. I wanted to get down to the wood with a chipped look instead of a worn look. If you haven't already, try cabinet scrapers. You can get them at
woodworking shops.

The end result is a more aged looking piece. I kinda wish I'd done more distressing but it's too late now. My coral cabinet is now for sale at Pretty in Paint, downtown Medford. Pretty in Paint is a wonderful shop with lots of inspiring pieces. I love going there. I want everything in the store!
Check it out on Facebook.

Sharing the update with:
shabby nest


3 comments:

  1. Those are some really great ideas! Saving the bi-ceps...always a good thing. Love the cabinet!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this piece! If I still lived there, or just lived closer, it'd be mine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Dropping by via My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia :) Love the work you did on your cabinet. I'm still learning about aging and about waxes, so you've added to my knowledge base--thanks! I admire your positive attitude and will be saying a prayer for you today--
    Diana
    Adirondack Girl @ Heart

    ReplyDelete