Monday, March 12, 2012

The stand-in

I love vintage industrial furniture. Love, love, love it. I have hanging cage lights, metal baskets and lots of cool rusty goodness bits and pieces. But I REALLY want this industrial console table from Hudson Goods



Unfortunately, $1300 is out of the question, so I researched DIY industrial tables and found some terrific ideas. But, since Mr. Bad Rabbit is doing a lot of traveling right now, making a table won't happen any time soon.

Soooooo. I impulsively decided to make a stand-in. I thought it wise to really make sure I'd be happy with the metallic look before investing time and money. Plus I just had to do something about the bland, outdated table I've put up with for years. I couldn't take it anymore.

I didn't take a before picture, but this is the basic style of the 1980s sofa table I was so desperately tired of.


Boring. 

So I grabbed 3 different silver craft paints and some flat black and got to it!


So much better! Finally, some visual interest!

To achieve the rust stain look, I used these finishes:


They work together to produce a chemical reaction creating "rust." You never know what you will get.




After a quick spray of poly it was ready to make it's debut as an industrial table.





Oh, I do like me something shiny!


Wasn't Mr. Bad surprised when he came home from his trip? He really likes the look and is looking forward to doing a DIY table. Meanwhile, I'm content with my stand-in. For a while anyway.

The added bonus is how it shows off Hubby's Olympic Torch, which he carried in 1996. Before, it was lost in all that wood. 

Linking to:
common ground
young an crafty
sassy sites
the girl creative
chic on a shoestring decorating
shabby nest
the gunny sack
a stroll thru life

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I constantly amazed at how you can turn something so mundane into something amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your table, how fun is that. It turned out fantastic and the torch is unreal. What a treasure. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage designs are always great, get the maximum output for this creativity Modular Kitchen Chennai

    ReplyDelete